Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Recipes....

STOP! Don't miss my post below about Cody's 1st game. (Facebookers, visit my blog, the link is on my info page)


Something else I'm trying to do right now, on top of everything else, is it try at least one new recipe a week. This week I've got a few new ones because I'm bored with our food and we're in a rut.

So far, very yummy!

Taco Lettuce Cups:
2 1/2 cups of Taco Seasoned Ground beef or Turkey, cooked (1 lb is close)
1 cup of chunky/fresh cut Salsa (I love La Mexicana from the cold case)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
8 leaves Bibb lettuce (I used a butter lettuce with large leaves)
2 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips, optional
1/2 cup sour cream, if desired

In a sauce pan mix seasoned meat, salsa and corn. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated thoroughly. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
Spoon about 1/2 cup of meat mix into each lettuce leaf. Top with about 1 tbsp cheese, 1/4 chips and 1 tbsp sour cream. Enjoy!

Notes: The recipe book this came from has you make up large batches of meet ahead of time to be pulled from the freezer for a quick meal, hence the 2 1/2 cups of meat. I made about a 1/4 of this, because no one else likes salsa and corn mixed in. I didn't use the tortilla chips and used less than a tbsp of sour cream. These were awesome! Didn't even miss my taco shell. I wasn't able to find the Bibb lettuce, so that's my next mission, but anything with a large leaf that you can cup will work.


Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches:
1 boneless beef roast (I found a cheapest one and it worked great!)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 beef bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
3 whole pepper corns (they have these in the bins at Winco)
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
water
Kaiser Rolls
Swiss/Provolone cheese

Trim meat and place in cooker. In a bowl combine soy sauce and all spices, pour over beef. Add enough water to almost cover beef. Cook on low for 10-12 hours, high 4-6 (depends on your cooker.)
Once cooked it should fall apart. Remove from cooker and shred. Grill rolls on the open side to get crispy and top with a slice of cheese. Put meat on and enjoy. This makes a lot of juice that is wonderful for dipping.

Notes: This had a really great taste to it. I didn't have any rosemary, so it was omitted and I added a few onion flakes as well. This is a good roast beef that would be yummy on it's own, with a veggie side and potatoes.

1 comment:

kh said...

I am in a cooking rut too. We rotate spaghetti, chicken, and burgers. Oh and a greasy pizza once in awhile too.
this looks sooo good!