Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Don't run away yet...

Hi, my name is Andrea and I'm obese. Seriously folks.
Today my BMI is 38.3, healthy range is 18.5- 24.9, in real terms that's 76 lbs to lose to even dip my toes in the healthy range. (Insert expletives here)

So there it is, laid out for all to see, I need to lose about 80 lbs.
And I'm not talking stick thin here people, I'm talking healthy, and hopefully less aches and pains from all the extra I'm carrying around every day.

With school starting, it's just a natural time to get moving. Last week we walked to school one time and then rode our bikes there every day, and home a couple of times as well. It's a start to get going and being more active.

This week is much the same, riding to school in the mornings. Today started my running program, yes, fat girl wants to run. And not just run down the road, run in organized "races" with a bunches of other goofy people that like to run.

Goal number 1 is a 5K, to run to completion, just finishing. The one I'm aiming for is on Nov 1st, The Apple Hill Harvest Run, which is actually 3.5 miles, a bit over a standard 5K. According to my training schedule I should be running between 3-4 miles at that point.

Goal number 2 is to be able to run a 10K by Thanksgiving. I had hoped to do the Run to Feed the Hungry here in Sac, but with any luck, the boys and I will be in Boise that week instead. (Thanks San Juan for a 10 day Nov. break!) But I am still aiming to be able to run 6 miles by that day.

From there it progresses and hopefully I'll lose my ass along the way, in a good way.

So back to today. Tyler rode his bike to school, while Cody and I walked . Then I started my program on the way home. This week it's only 20 minutes, 2 minutes walking, 2 minutes jogging. I did it, ran for the full 10 minutes, didn't stop early at any interval. I'll do it again on Thursday, then again on Saturday. Baby steps, definitely baby steps.

I'm also going to take my MIL up on her offer to watch the boys and hit the gym. We had to drop our gym membership in the spring because of the cost, 2 adults + 2 kids in child care = way too much money! But a single membership is doable.
I had a lot of success before by going to their group weight training classes, so that's the goal, go to those 2-3 times a week. Then I'm also going to try to start swimming a couple of times a week as cross training, extremely low impact, but still has a powerful punch.
Lofty, my friends, very lofty goals here. But it's time.

My vice in this whole deal is the food, who doesn't love food? I need to learn to love it a little less. I'm not taking that I'm going to eat like a rabbit, but a few salads mixed in can't hurt, turning in my tortillas for lettuce wraps, still getting to enjoy my tacos. Still eating pasta, but switching to the better for your whole grain, adding in a veggie and cutting down the portion. Leaving the sweat treats for the weekend.

Oh and the drinking, yep it's gotta get under control as well. The Mt Dew will have to be limited, that's gonna suck, but I'm not gonna cut it out completely because that only causes a binge. More tea, more water and one soda a day, not 3. Plus an occasional coffee, but I've only had 2 in the last 10 days, so that's a much better start. (By coffee I mean White Chocolate Mocha = lots of calories!)

So yell at me, encourage me, and by all means tag along with me.

3 comments:

Stacie and Jared said...

You go girl!! I know you can do it! Just think how much better you will feel once you lose it. Be careful with races, you may become addicted...like me. Having a race to look forward pushes you that much further. Keep us all posted so we can encourage you and keep you on track!

Mom Douglas said...

WOW!!! I'm behind you all the way and hopefully beside you when you do some walking. I know you can do this. Love YA Mom

Liz Leppanen said...

Awesome Andrea! You can do it. Good idea putting it out there for all to see too. This will definitely keep you motivated to keep it going. You don't want to tell anyone you quit. Please post your progress. I am cheering you on!