Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

I'm Corn-fused!

So I've started the process of designing the interior of our new place. It's been great consulting my new book, The Color Scheme Bible but it has my head spinning with the possibilities of what we can do. Then after consulting the Ikea catalog, it has me wondering if my furniture set that I've fallen in love with will look right. I know the couch and chairs set will look right, in Idemo beige, paired with pillows like this and this. So that's the easier part. My question falls if whether or not the white of this furniture collection will fit in with the rich color palate that I'm shooting for. So we'll have to see.

In the front house there is a small entry, living room and the kitchen that has the dining attached. My current dilemma here is trying to find something that doesn't clash for the living room and kitchen/dining because there is a window/half wall separating part of the main space. I've always wanted to do a deep red room, thinking the living room would be great. The palate I found is somewhat Asian inspired, which isn't bad in itself, but when paired with an almost country style kitchen is a little eclectic for me. So Earthy tones, reds, then blues and greens from the same scale for the other room. I don't know!

The floor in the kitchen/dining is a darker, antique wood which has to be taken into account as well, because it's part of the only flooring that we are leaving in the house. I personally love it. Keith thinks if we continued it into the rest of the living area and hallway it would be too dark. I may still try some convincing. We are putting new carpet in the rest of the house, a neutral khaki/tan color (think the in-stock colors from Lowe's).

Then we move onto our bedroom and it's going to be a challenge as well. I know that we'll probably go for a blue palate with some chocolate and white accessories. The issues fall in the way the bathroom is connected to the bedroom. The sink/vanity area is in the bedroom, then the toilet/shower is within closed doors. I think I've found some palates that will compliment, but it's hard to tell. Accessories will be the key, rugs and things.

The boys' are going into one room, after thinking about it over and over, it's a surf themed room for them. So nice colors, probably a yellow and blue palate, with surf board highlights. Then add in some cool pics like this, that, and other beach black and whites from Ikea. Boom! Insta cool room!

Their bathroom, which would also be the guest bathroom, is also one of my new favorites! I found this company online and decided their Out of This World set would be perfect for two little boys. So I hope to get the shower curtain, clock and their wall stickers to create a boarder/accents around the room. Add in floor rugs in bright blue, back curtain, and some matching towels and their room is done.

The toy room will probably be a yellow palate with blue and wood accents. As well as the beloved Nemo and Cars wall stickers it will be a fun place to play. I hope to add in a new shelf or two so that everything is easy to find and has a place.

Our office is troubling me as well. In some ways I want to use orange or yellow to inspire creativity, but I also found another palate of blue that is meant to inspire clear thoughts. But non the less, I fell in love with this table top in the black/white print, but keep wondering if it may be too much activity. There is also this option that is part of afore mentioned beloved set. So we'll see. One thing we are doing is putting the computer in the closet, adding in some shelving above it, a great space saver! This also makes space for us to put in a sofa bed or futon for guest (yep, thinking about you too Mom!).


So that's been my day today, totally engrossed in my color book and computer, scouring this and that. Can I get started already?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is way too exciting. I think you should take the flooring all the way out. You can do that with the floor, it anchors the room. Plus, light wood will look wierd with rich walls. Of course, that's just my opinion.