Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Another frustrating field trip....

So it was field trip day at preschool, we go somewhere once a month. This months field trip was to go bowling. It sounded like it would be fun, I voted for it, but I should have known better. It was a cluster, like most that we've been on, it was beyond frustrating.

The bowling alley that was chosen for the trip is old, in a so-so part of town, and quite a distance from the school. We arrived and they didn't know we were coming, fantastic! So they scramble and find us 4 lanes at the end. After seeing 16 preschoolers they realized they didn't have enough shoes, so they say to go anyway in street shoes. Cool, one less thing to have to worry about. So they dig out the smallest balls they have, not enough, but it's not like they are all going to bowl at the same time, so there were are enough for about 3-4 per lane. They bring out 2 ball shooters to share, those thing as super cool for the little kids, put the ball on the top, tip it up and down the lane it goes.

Some how the group kind of gets separated. So 3 groups get to the lanes and start going, putting 3 kids on two of the lanes, 4 on the 3rd lane, leaving 6 kids on the last lane. This frustrates me because instead of waiting for 2-3 kids to have a turn, Cody has to wait for 5 kids to bowl. But whatever, I sit down to enter the 6 kids into the lane so we can take organized turns, but nobody is paying attention and just start sending kids up to bowl. This frustrates the crap out of me because I'm invisible, not that it's not a usual occurrence for me to be invisible in a group, but it sucks. So I walked away, told Cody to stay with the group and went to the bathroom to breath. It didn't really help, but I walked away instead of saying something that could be hurtful or rude. I come back and they were actually going in turns, one of the other moms noticed I walked away in a bit of a huff and made point to tell me it's all straight now. So we bowl 2 frames as 6 and a couple of the moms realize it's taking too long and ask to open one more lane. Great, but then we're stuck with the 6 names on our lane. So we wait for the tweaky alley dude to come and fix our lane and we are off and running again. Looking around, realizing we are about 3-4 frames behind the rest of the group, but whatever, they are finally bowling.

We are going along, kids are having pretty good time and the tweaky alley dude comes and takes both of the ball shooters. DUDE! WTF! He claims that there is another group that has come in, they were expecting them, that are handicapped and need the shooters. Okay, so I look down to the end of the alley there group is about 8 people, only using 2 lanes. Um, no, they can share! So I walk to the desk and kindly but sternly let them know that I understand that they need the shooters, but there are 16 3-4 year olds that need one too. Either that or they need to station someone down there to chase all the balls that didn't have enough power to make it to the end. So reluctantly they bring on of them back. Yeah, go smoke another bowl dude.

Can you tell I've had enough bowling excitement at this point? Are you still reading this? Bless you!

We are finally winding down and people are leaving, thank god it's almost over! About half the class was going to go over the nearby park, but I couldn't do it. I was done! So we left and went to lunch instead. It was nice, we were able to eat outside so that was a nice change. We met my MIL at the gym and I stayed to do a water aerobics class while both boys played in child care. It kinda calmed me down, but not enough.

I'm still frustrated about our day and it's been almost 10 hours since I've seen anyone from school. I just wish that someone would gather the group, get everyone to the point of interest together so we could do it together. We supposedly have a paid teacher that is there, but she's just along for the ride on field trip days, kinda feels like it's her day off. Yeah, don't get me started on her tonight!

UGH! Only one more preschool day this week and we have a week away. They are doing an Easter egg hunt on Thurs, but as much as I would love the pictures, I'm not going to stay. I'm going to drop off my eggs, extra ones too because someone will forget, and be on my way. Luckly I have a DMV appt to go to, so there's my excuse to leave.

2 comments:

kh said...

On the positive side, I think the kids had fun and were unaware of any glitches....and that's what it's all about. Plus no one dropped a ball on his or her toes. Maybe we should all have a few pre-field trip drinks next time...I bet all the mishaps would be hilarious instead of painful. I want to go back to bounceopolis b/c we missed that one....I heard only good comments about that place.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. The bowling sucked.