Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Halloween Crafty

Lucked out a bit this year, not much to make for Halloween costumes. Last year was quite a different story, but they turned out so cute. So I had intended to make Cody's costume this year as well, he told me he wanted to be a pumpkin. I ordered an orange hoodie online, but when it came it fit him perfectly, no room to puff it out for a pumpkin. Before I could get another one ordered, a friend came the rescue, finding a felt pumpkin costume at the thrift store. YAY!
So it needed a cleaning and a little altering to shrink it up just smidge. Then I sewed a pool noodle around the inside middle to give it form, put a big pocket on the inside behind the face to puff it out a little and the costume was done.

The real crafty came into play in needing a hat to go with it so he could have his stem.
Fail #1 came in the form of a white beanie I found at Walmart. I had hoped to dye it and sew a little stem to the top. But it wouldn't hold the dye and ended up a weird peach color with a sea green top.
Fail #2 came in the form of a bucket hat I found at Michael's. It was light tan, but I figured with enough saturation it would turn orange. It did, just the way wrong color. It was a muted orange, so back to the drawing board again.
Win came in the form of making a hat out of felt, luckily I have a big stash and didn't have to buy anything! I used the bucket hat as a template as it fit him just right and went from there. The stem is a 1 inch foam block with a pipe cleaner wrapped in batting stuck in the top to be able to bend it over.

Here's is the wrong colored bucket hat. I glued on a felt face (so we can peal it off and use the hat this summer) and Ty can wear it with his Thomas costume to add a little Halloween flair. Plus I was feeling bad that he didn't get anything made by mom this year.
The last thing in this years crafty line-up is the pumpkin shirt I made for Cody. He doesn't get to wear his costume to school, so I thought this would be fun for him. Simple felt piece sewn on with a straight stitch around the edge. Yes, it's grey, the black was too harsh against the lighter orange.
So there it is, crafty but not over the top this year.

2 comments:

Liz Leppanen said...

Oh my goodness! You are so stinkin' crafty! Great job. And, the boys are getting so big. So fast. Happy Fall!

Malissa said...

I just need an ounce of your craftiness... seriously!