Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

An Apple Hill attempt....

Sat was our first family field trip for the school year, up to Apple Hill for pumpkins, animals, apple donuts, and general fun on the farm. The forecast for the day said some early morning showers and then it would let up. When we left the house it was almost dry, but we could see the clouds and realized we were driving right for them. Sure enough, the higher up the mountain we went, the wetter we got.
Our first stop, as always for Apple Hill, was to Rainbow Orchards for fresh apple donuts. They are beyond fabulous and melt in your mouth. There was a steady drizzle when we arrived, but we went into the barn to wait and see what they had.

"What's dat, MeMe?" (Ty's new nickname for me)
"Ohh, Cold!"
We went back to the van to eat our donuts and the rain turned to pouring. Having arrived a little early, we rode it out for a little while, but it didn't let up much. Determined to get our participation hours for the drive up, we headed over to Plubell's to sign in with Ty's teacher Cathy. It was still nice and wet when we arrived, but we hopped out of the van long enough to say hi, check out the farm animals and get soaked.
Back to the car and down the mountain in some attempt to salvage the day. The boys didn't seam to mind that we couldn't stay.


So instead of heading back to the ol' homestead, we headed down to Old Sac instead. For Ty's birthday, G-ma & Pa S. gave him (and Cody) Caboose club memberships for the Train museum. This gives them and 1 adult free entry to the museum for the year, so with two kids and two passes we were set to go, free of charge.

Once we hit the valley the rain stopped, this is what it was like in Old Sac...

We love the train museum. They never get tired of seeing the gigantic trains, exploring in and out. Here is a my plea for a new camera, takes awful pictures inside, but they are still cute!

We always have to make time to hang out at the train tables upstairs. The museum is great about having lots of different engines and cars out to play with so there's not a lot of fight for them to get a set.
It ended up being a good day. We walked around downtown for a bit, had pizza for lunch, and the boys were ready for naps when we headed home.

On the crafty side of life...

Only 2 more spots to sew onto Cody's costume and it's done, then I can get to the hand sewing on Ty's. I also sat down and worked out 5 scrapbook pages today. Yay me!

Then I organized my Xmas crafty gifts and became overwhelmed with what I've laid out for myself. Some are going to go quickly once I get the fabric cut, others are probably going to tax my brain and may get scratched all together. But if I can stick to it, I will only need to buy gifts for 2 people other than the boys. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad we didn't go. I'm like the Wicked Witch of the West, hate getting wet. Though I missed the apple donuts. Sigh