Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Creating a soccer banner....

Tyler's team needed a banner for game days, it pulled on my crafty heart strings to get it done. 
So, here's the process....

First step was to sew casings for the frame to go through...

 Decided to use freezer paper stenciling to add the wording.  Also realized I can use my Cricut to cut letter and things from the freezer paper.  Not sure why I hadn't thought of this sooner!  
Yay for not having to trace and cut all these by hand!  

So I ironed on the stencils...
 Started dabbing on the fabric paint with a stenciling sponge...
 Then realized I had an issue....
 The stencil did not iron onto the duck cloth (canvas) very well.  Usually this works wonderfully on t-shirts giving me clean and crisp images/words/lines. 
 Instead I was left with this kind of mess...
 But, a Sharpie came to the rescue! 
 I used the same process to stencil the names & super hero thingy on to the capes.  
 I had a bit of touch up to do on theses as well, but by the end had figured out how to paint the canvas to minimize the bleeding.  
Some hand painted soccer balls, a lot of measuring and a glue gun later we have a pretty spiffy banner! 
All that's left to finish is building the PVC frame and finding the right size steaks to set it up on game days. 

No comments: