Project 365 and Crafty Blog: go here.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Hoping they grow...

A garden has been in the back of my mind for a while, so the boys and I finally planted a few things to see what we can grow.  With the rabbits out back, that didn't make for a good place.  I had thought I might be able to put some boxes down the side of our house, but there's watering issues and the sun wasn't as great as I had thought.  So our garden is going to be right out front, we can watch it from the front windows! 
We already had the wine barrel planters, but their contents were dead and the cats had been using them. (So Gross).  So those were cleaned out.  Searching for a cheap solution, we hit the dollar store in search of more bins.  We came up with some baskets and then lined them with weed blocker from the garden store.  Even if they only last one season, they only cost $1!
 Tyler helped me search for flat stones and then I wrote on them with a sharpie to mark the planters.
 We used some left over rabbit fencing to cover the planters and make cages on a couple, in hopes of keeping the cats out. 
Our crop includes: sweet corn, red leaf & butter lettuce, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, strawberries, sunflowers, watermelon, honeydew melon, pumpkins and a tomato plant. 
In a couple of weeks I might add another tomato plant, a couple of peppers, some onions and herbs to start a salsa garden.

No comments: